These two adult males were most likely entangled in a territory dispute. Both birds have had initial exams, and presented with a variety of soft tissue wounds. They both also tested positive for low lead toxicity levels, which means that at some point they each ingested lead with their meals. The most common cause of lead toxicity in eagles is spent lead hunting ammunition. Lead poisoning has long been recognized to be a serious problem in bald eagles admitted to The Raptor Center. (Click here for the story on our 40th raptor clinic patient - a bald eagle with lead poisoning.)
|One of the bald eagle patients being examined: the yellow bandage shown |
on the wing will protect the bird's wrist while it is in clinic.
For the next couple of weeks, these birds will be treated for their soft tissue injuries and lead toxicity.